Monday, January 14, 2008

Austin Day 5

We took things a bit easier today, at least activity wise. After brunch we saw the parents off to the airport, then spent the afternoon driving around the Lake Travis area and seeing the spa where my sister works as a massage therapist. We all had a nice nap back at her place to sleep off the effects of lunch. We attempted to drive down to Hippie Hollow, the clothing-optional section around Lake Travis. We were going to invoke the option of keeping our clothes on, but the $10 entrance fee seemed a bit steep, particularly a day as "cold" as today. It actually feels pretty darn warm to us, but you get anywhere below 65 degrees and Austinians start breaking out the parkas and salting the roads.

GASTRONOMICAL JOURNAL: We met my friend Gordon at the Hula Hut for a 11a late brunch. Turned out to be more of a lunchy affair, as that's the sort of food Hula Hut serves. I ate a MASSIVE enchilada called a Pipeline. The damn thing was nearly as thick as my arm. That pretty much took care of me for the afternoon and I didn't eat another bite until dinner. In fact, my stomach spent a bit of time protesting all the good food I've been eating lately. I was not to be stopped by a little ache, though. Dinner was a Royale with Cheese burger eaten at the Alamo Drafthouse South, during a screening of Juno. Excellent movie, by the way. Afterward, we returned to Amy's Ice Cream where I again ate a Mexican Vanilla waffle cone with Reesey cups and Nutter Butters crushed up in it. In fact, we had extra cones on hand, donated to us by the staff who kept breaking them trying to flip our ice cream in the air as part of their Benihana-style ice-cream acrobatics. Once again, I had to slap a stranger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm jealous. I LIVE there and I don't get that kind of gastronomical tour.

Anonymous said...

booooooooooooring.....we want more tales from the liberry!


An employee of a small town "liberry" chronicles his quest to remain sane while dealing with patrons who could star in a short-lived David Lynch television series.