Thursday, September 09, 2004

Of course, by that time my lungs were aching for air.

It's like someone turned on the stench-electro-magnet today. We were beset by stinky patron after stinky patron.

Well, all right, so there were only two of them, but they were foul enough for ten.

I'm almost certain that the first guy is the same stinky man who darkened our door and soiled our souls with his stench around three years ago, during Stinky Patron Day 2001. He had been using the little computer by the stairs just prior to my arrival at work. No one likes to use the little computer by the stairs provided the other two comfyer computers are free. I'm guessing that they were therefore not free when he was logged onto the little one, but they had long since been abandoned by the time he got up and left.

On his way out, Mr. Stinky walked past me, wearing a too-tight, filthy gray t-shirt with deep-set stains and a veritable cloud of nose-permeating evil. My theory is that this shirt is actually the too-tight red t-shirt he had worn on his previous visit, leeched of its color by his olfactory aura. Before he had even left the building, Mrs. H had busted out both the Airwick and the woefully underpowered automatic air-freshener, which had been secreted within a potted plant on the windowsill next to Mr. Stinky. The lingering stench ate both of them.

Barely an hour had passed when the Sweatiest Woman in All the Land came in. We knew she was on her way because she'd sent her daughter ahead to herald her coming and check to see if there were any computers free. (Her daughter's pretty stinky too, but only because of contact-stench from mom.) I'm starting to believe that the eye-watering breeze of the Sweatiest Woman in All the Land is not entirely sweat-spawned. My fellow employees are of the opinion that it is not so much a sweaty sort of odor as a uriney sort of odor. I didn't buy into this at first, but now I've come to think that my nose may have simply been overwhelmed by her wake of funk and automatically defaulted to the most palatable explanation for what it smelled like. I mean really, which would you rather have come into your library, a patron soaked in dried sweat or one steeping in her own urine? And being as how she's a really nice lady, beyond the impoliteness of her vapors, we think she must have some sort of bladder control issue rather than just having a penchant for peeing her pants on purpose. Again, that's the most palatable explanation.

So anyway, the Uriniest Woman in All the Land finally came in for a computer too. That's all she ever wants, hence why we have so many air-freshening products hidden in the computer hall. Unfortunately for those of us who'd have to share the front room with her while she waited, all three of our computers were full. We'd just signed on two people a few minutes earlier and the only one our timers said was out of time belonged to Mr. B-Natural, who was back with his dog, Bubba, playing solitaire. I went back and told him that his time was up.

"I ain't been on that long!" he angrily grumped. "I had to wait around upstairs for a while. My time's not up."

I sighed. If only he knew the favor I was trying to do him by allowing him and Bubba the chance to escape before the stench-fest descended on his head.

"Well, the timer says you're done," I told him. "But maybe it was still set for the patron before you. I'll go check."

As I was about to go check, the patron using the computer by the stairs stood up and said she was finished. Mr. B cracked a smug grin at this, thinking himself safe to continue his game. If only he knew what I was about to unleash into the computer hall. I smiled with this knowledge, rebooted the free computer and then went to tell the Uriniest Woman in All the World it was ready for her to use.

Poor Bubba. They say dog noses are a million times more sensitive than human noses.

No comments:


An employee of a small town "liberry" chronicles his quest to remain sane while dealing with patrons who could star in a short-lived David Lynch television series.