Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Actual Telephone Conversations Heard in Actual Libraries #7

ME: Tri-Metro County Public Library.

CALLER: Yes, I'd like to renew some books over the phone. Can I do that?

ME: Sure thing. What's your last name?

CALLER: Donovan. D-O-N-O-V-A-N.

ME: (TYPES IN "N/DONOVAN") Okay, and the first name?

CALLER: Dave.

ME: (TYPES IN "DAVE." NO DAVE DONOVAN COMES UP AT ALL. NOR IS THERE A DAVID DONOVAN LISTED.) You said, Dave, right?

CALLER: (MUMBLES SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE "Yes.")

ME: Um, I don't have a Dave Donovan listed here. There's no David either.

CALLER: (SUDDENLY FURIOUS) It's Stephen!! I said it was STEPHEN!!!

ME: Stephen Donovan?

CALLER: Yes!!

ME: Uh... Oh. Well, sorry. I could have sworn you just said it was Dave.  Twice.

CALLER: No! It's Stephen!

I still have no explanation for this call. As far as I'm concerned the man said his damn name was Dave twice and confirmed it the first time I asked. I base this on the fact that the names Dave and Stephen sound nothing alike no matter your accent. However, as we don't have a Dave Donovan listed and we did have a Stephen Donovan who had checked out the book The Da Vinci Code I can only assume I was in either in error or he was crazy.

I was unable to renew his book for him, as we still have an assload of people on hold for that book, so Dave was SOL.

No comments:


An employee of a small town "liberry" chronicles his quest to remain sane while dealing with patrons who could star in a short-lived David Lynch television series.